Sunday, June 26, 2016

Kolrabi Radish and Cucumber Salad

Enjoy the flavors of summer with this crunchy veggie packed salad. Made with kolrabi, radish and cucumber and lightly dressed with a sesame dressing. Perfect salad for lunch or dinner.

kolrabi radish and cucumber vegetable salad
Kolrabi Radish and Cucumber Salad
Have you ever noticed the vegetables that grow in the same season seem to taste very good when combined together? This salad is an example of just that. We were at the Newport farmers market Saturday morning and a similar salad was being sampled at the Gathering Together Farm booth. The salad there was made with kolrabi and radishes and cut into very small pieces; like the texture of something grated. Everything was drizzled with sesame oil and rice wine vinegar. While I enjoyed this combination very much I thought the addition of cucumber would be wonderful. Cucumbers are so flavorful this time of year and besides adding these to salads they are also delicious on sandwiches.

Serves 2 for a main dish, more if serving as a side.

Ingredients:

1 kolrabi (cut into small pieces)
1 cucumber (cut into small pieces)
6 radishes (cut into small pieces)
Salt to taste

Sesame vinaigrette dressing:

1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
¼ teaspoon honey
Salt and pepper to taste

To prepare:

In a small sized jar whisk together the sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and honey. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

In a medium size serving dish combine kohlrabi, radishes and cucumber, add dressing and toss well.



Cheri Savory Spoon
Cheri Savory Spoon

Mysavoryspoon was first started in 2010 as a way to journal recipes that I had collected from cookbooks, magazines, family and friends. Most everything was savory, using legumes and whole grains. Along the way I discovered a love for baking. Now a couple times a month you might see some type of sweet pie or treat.

50 comments:

  1. This is exactly the reason I eat seasonally as food tastes better that way ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cheri, kohlrabi, cucumber and radishes make for a wonderful and seasonal bunch of ingredients - your recipe sounds delightful and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri: This looks incredibly refreshing. We regularly have kohlrabi as part of our farm share each week but I'm often stumped at how to use it. Now I know! Thanks so much. D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Dena, it was the samples at the farm booth that inspired me with this salad.

      Delete
  4. Oh, you and I are on the same page this week, Cheri. I went to the farm and made a similar looking salad but didn't use kohlrabi - how perfectly delicious! Love the light, healthy beauty of this dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving all the fresh fruits and veggies that summer brings but then I will say that about fall and winter too. Thanks Robyn.

      Delete
  5. Good tip, Cheri! I have never bought kohlrabi to cook/eat at home. Lovely fresh vegetables, in season, is such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the second time I ever purchased kolrabi, not sure why, it is really delicious. I enjoyed this salad very much.

      Delete
  6. This is such a beautiful looking salad, Cheri! Radish and cucumber is the great combo. Now that the weather is little warm, all I want is salads like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fresh, so Summery. I never buy Kohlrabi because I don't know what to do with it. Pinning to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. appreciate it Lea Ann, the other day I saw a recipe using kolrabi in a risotto, might try that next.

      Delete
  8. This salad sounds so refreshing, Cheri! I bet it has a great texture. I really like sesame oil so I know I would love the dressing, too. I'm really not familiar with Kohlrabi. I will have to look it up. Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shari, I have only worked with kolrabi once before, really like the flavor though.

      Delete
  9. I have never tried kolrabi. This looks so fresh and delicious. Perfect treat for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never eaten Kolrabi like that before. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a chance to try it sometime Tania,it really is delicious!

      Delete
  11. I never thought about the same season thing, but that is so true! I need to try some kohlrabi. It has been a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never tried kolrabi! I know that's a terrible admission. I've seen them at the shops but now really known what to do with them - I didn't grow up with them and it certainly isn't a vegetable my mother ever used; I don't even think they were available back then. I do love how this is a very seasonal salad and you have inspired me to give kohrabi a go xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up we were never exposed to foods like this either, not sure if they were available here either. Take care Charlie

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the heads up, Cheri. I'll start pairing same season foods together...Trust seasonal ice creams play together in the same sundae, too! Tee hee....Seriously, your always to be admired healthy yet delicious food looks divine. There truly is nothing like the crunch of a fresh salad in summertime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, oh I agree, crunchy salads are the best.

      Delete
  14. That's really smart marketing on the part of the farmer's market to showcase seasonal goodies in dishes! Gives people ideas. :-) Agree cukes are wonderful at this time of the year -- starting to get some from our garden. Anyway, lovely recipe -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky you can grow cukes, we are not able too here, maybe we have too many cloudy days, not sure why. Thanks John.

      Delete
  15. A healthy and delicious salad! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zaza, looks like we are both on the same page with our salads.

      Delete
  16. I'm loving farm fresh cucumbers right now! This salad sounds like a great use for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I know they are so delicious right now.

      Delete
  17. delicious! kolrabi is a very underused garden goodie and i'm delighted to see it used in such a bright and tasty dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, it was a great idea of the farmer to have someone showcase some of their veggies. Otherwise I probably would not have purchased one myself.

      Delete
  18. I haven't had kolrabi in years! This is a great salad...healthy and served with a simple vinaigrette...looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all of these ingredients and this looks like the perfect summer salad!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all of these ingredients and this looks like the perfect summer salad!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another interesting idea for a summer salad! I love a simple cucumber, tomato and radish salad and love the idea of using kohlrabi, Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this combination! My shoulder and knee doctor just recommended something very similar a said it was the best salad he's had in ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats so funny. We loved this salad, it's like summer on a plate. Thanks David.

      Delete
  23. This is a new one for me - I've never tried it but it looks wonderful! I LOVE your new look. Congratulations on a beautiful design :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia, Looking back, I should of done it long ago.

      Delete