Sunday, April 10, 2016

Halibut En Papillote


I’m not sure if I know how to pronounce the title of this post correctly. But En Papillote is a method of preparing fish, chicken or beef in sealed up little packages so they can steam in wine or another flavorful liquid of your choice. It’s a healthy and delicious way to enjoy your meal, perfect for entertaining and a great way to reduce calories. I am sure this would work well with a little butter and cream too.

This was so delicious and easy to prepare that I decided I need to go out and buy more parchment paper . Many more dishes will be prepared in these little packets. For today’s recipe; fresh wild halibut was baked and steamed in parchment paper with white wine, lemon juice, asparagus and fresh thyme. The end result was soft and buttery; every bite melting in your mouth. When serving be sure to open packets at the table to allow everyone to smell the aroma, they will be in heaven.

Ingredients:

3/4 pound fresh wild halibut (cut into 2 pieces)
8 stalks asparagus, (cleaned and trimmed)
1/2 leek (cleaned and cut into small ribbons)
4 fresh lemon slices
4 to 5 sprigs fresh thyme (dill or basil would be nice too)
¼ cup white wine (1/8 cup for each packet)

To prepare:

Preheat oven to 400 °.

Take 2 pieces of parchment about 12 inches long. Set halibut in the middle of the parchment, season with salt and pepper. Place asparagus, leeks, lemon slices and your choice of fresh herb.


How to create your packet:

Overlap parchment paper and then fold tightly around the food to create a seal. Add wine before sealing pouch completely. 

Add parchment packets to a large cast iron skillet and place in oven. Bake until firm to the touch, about 6 to 12 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove from oven. Be careful of the steam when opening. Remove lemon slices and herbs.

Cheri Savory Spoon
Cheri Savory Spoon

Mysavoryspoon was first started in 2010 as a way to journal recipes that I had collected from cookbooks, magazines, family and friends. Most everything was savory, using legumes and whole grains. Along the way I discovered a love for baking. Now a couple times a month you might see some type of sweet pie or treat.

47 comments:

  1. I love cooking en papillote, but it's been ages since I've done it. :Your bailout looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth, you can't go wrong with fresh wild fish.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great way to prepare fish–I love all the flavorings in this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, you can't go wrong with lemon and asparagus.

      Delete
  3. I've not cooked en papillote in a very long time. This looks perfect Cheri 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a heavenly spring supper Cheri. I imagine the white wine makes the asparagus and fish sing flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious looking meal! I love cooking meats enclosed. It keeps the dish so moist.
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, I can't wait to try other meats as well. Take care!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely recipe, perfect for this time of year when you want something filling but light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love preparing fish like this. Everything just tastes so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dannii, you are so right, I will be preparing fish this way again.

      Delete
  8. Halibut is my second favorite fish and I would eat it once a week if it weren't so expensive! This recipe is perfect simplicity with it's Springy flavors and ease to prepare. I will be making this very soon, Cheri. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn, so funny, halibut is my second favorite fish too, salmon is my favorite. Have a great week.

      Delete
  9. i haven't made anything en papillote but it's a very intriguing method! this looks like a light, delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, it is a great method, our fish was very flavorful and moist.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely springtime dish. I'll have to prepare it with snapper as halibut usually isn't found in our Florida market although it was always available when we live in New England

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I bet this would be wonderful with snapper.

      Delete
  11. Fish in parchment is one of my favorite meals, and this looks so light and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fish in parchment is one of my favorite meals, and this looks so light and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks amazing, Cheri. Simple and light. Wonderfully done! D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dena, it's already getting hot here, our meals need to be somewhat light.

      Delete
  14. Same here, love cooking fish, especially salmon en papillote - it is such a healthy and wonderful way to prepare glorious food! You did a wonderful job with your creation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love halibut and this sounds like such a delicious recipe, Cheri! So light and flavorful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, halibut and salmon are my favorites.

      Delete
  16. Cheri, this recipes looks great. Loving the parchment idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love halibut and this sounds fabulous. Our local grocery store will now put any fish in a cooking bag with herbs and spices, which is a great thing when I don't feel like getting out a piece of parchment. I'm lazy, I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really cool that your local grocery store does that Abbe, take care.

      Delete
  18. Great flavors and I love fish in parchment, Cheri. Read a recipe the other day making apricots in parchment. It looked so good...am now waiting for apricots to appear in the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds scrumptious Barbara, love apricots.

      Delete
  19. I can't say I'm super familiar with cooking halibut (or eating it for that matter). But this look super yummy! Definitely worth trying...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mrs KR majored in French in college, so she always enjoys correcting my pronunciation. :-) Anyway, love anything cooked en papillote -- looks fancy, but really isn't. And always tastes wonderful. Even though I can't pronounce it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, haha that is funny, I totally understand that.

      Delete
  21. Looks super healthy & yummy! Perfect dinner option I must say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Cheri,
    This is so flavourful ... love the pairing of lemon and asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I just cannot get enough asparagus right now.

      Delete
  23. A good seafood dinner is seriously one of favorite things in the world and this looks divine, Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cheri - this is one of my favorite cooking methods! Yes, adding cream is a great idea, but what I like most about it is that you can prepare a healthy meal, the flavorful meal, and a beautiful meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right David, also now that it is getting warmer lighter is good.

      Delete