Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Prosciutto-Wrapped Scallops with Pesto


When I think back to where I first saw this recipe I draw a blank. It was literally years ago, maybe even before the food channel. Now there are many variations in the ingredients and in the cooking method, but this is the way we have always prepared it.

The actual cooking of this dish is always done by my husband. He sears the scallops for a few minutes on each side and then puts a ½ teaspoon of pesto on top to finish them off. This is a great dish, simple enough for a week night meal and elegant enough to entertain. The pesto can be store bought or handmade. In the summer I make all my pesto from scratch because of my garden. During the winter I usually buy mine ready-made, unless it’s my carrot top pesto. (Recipe for another day). The prosciutto can be substituted with thinly sliced bacon, and shrimp or even chicken could be substituted for the scallops.

This would be great as an appetizer but we serve them as a topper for pasta, risotto or a mixed green salad. I served today’s dish with a kale and Israeli couscous.

Ingredients:

8 large, fresh scallops
Freshly ground black pepper, salt to taste
4 slices thin Prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise
4 teaspoons pesto, divided
Olive oil

To prepare:

Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Wrap 1 strip of prosciutto around each scallop. Thread the scallops onto toothpicks (or skewers), securing the prosciutto to the scallop, set aside.


On medium-high heat add olive oil, when oil is hot; add prosciutto wraps scallops. Sauté the scallop on the prosciutto sides until lightly cooked and then, place the scallops right side up in the same pan and cooks 2 to 3 minutes, turn the scallops over and cook 2 to 3 minutes on the other side. Turn back over and place a dollop of the pesto on top. Wait just about a minute to let the pesto start to melt.





Cheri Savory Spoon
Cheri Savory Spoon

Mysavoryspoon was first started in 2010 as a way to journal recipes that I had collected from cookbooks, magazines, family and friends. Most everything was savory, using legumes and whole grains. Along the way I discovered a love for baking. Now a couple times a month you might see some type of sweet pie or treat.

67 comments:

  1. It's like you read my mind. I want to make scallop pasta for dinner tomorrow night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love scallops, and this sounds really good. Never tried them with pesto before! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, we have been eating them this way for years. Love the pesto.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this looks like something from a fancy restaurant. Scallops wrapped in Prosciutto - wow! Love that you served it over kale and Israel couscous - love all those things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE scallops! This is so beautifully prepared, Cheri. That couscous salad looks fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how simple this is! Everything is better with a dollop of pesto on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delicious way to prepare one of our favorite seafoods. The dollop of pesto would add such a nice fresh flavor. Happy Holidays, Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love scallops and this is a nice variation for serving them that I haven't seen. Nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scallops and bacon are always a good match but I really like the idea of adding the pesto. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi karen, as someone else already said pesto makes everything taste better.

      Delete
  9. I love pesto. This looks absolutely delicious to me. Yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love scallops and Jacques makes our prosciutto..This will be on a menu in 2015.
    Thank you Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good, Cheri! I wish we were having this for dinner tonight. I am going to save the recipe for another time, though. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scallops are so easy to prepare. And what an elegant appetizer or entree. I best consider these for New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love pesto–I bet it gives this dish a great flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've made Prosciutto-Wrapped Scallops so many times Cheri and never, ever have I thought to add pesto. What a GREAT idea!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks like a neat way to wrap the scallops..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! appreciate you stopping by. Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  16. So scrumptious looking, Cheri! Christmas is such a nice time for these treats. And I agree - they work well as an appetizer or topper - perfect! I've been craving more seafood lately and I have prosciutto in the fridge so I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn, seafood is one of my favorite things. Happy Holidays to you!

      Delete
  17. These scallops look absolutely delicious, I love the pesto addition, it is the best flavour! :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband loves scallops so I will surprise him with this meal soon. I should have made pesto before my basil started to wane! Happy Holidays, Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, there are many times when closing out the garden that I think the same thing. Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  19. Goodness this sounds and looks delicious! What a treat these would be. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this recipe, Cheri. I think anything wrapped in prosciutto always turns out to be a winner. My husband is especially fond of scallops and I keep meaning to finally get it right (I never sear them properly). I will definitely try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica, my husband usually cooks all the seafood, I always over cook everything. Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  21. This is just perfect for a quick weeknight meal. I have tried scallops wrapped in bacon and always ended up with overcooked scallops and perfectly cooked bacon, or perfectly cooked scallops and rubbery bacon. I. Think prosciutto is the perfect solution. Love the addition of the pesto! ~ David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, pesto makes everything taste better, right! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  22. So elegant, Cheri...Somehow this Christmas season has brought many scallops onto my plate...And I'd love to see your rendition on my table next! Looking forward to your carrot top pesto recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, scallops are so quick to fix, my husband does the searing as I seem to always to overcook. Happy Holidays to you!

      Delete
  23. That's a very pretty appetiser. I love how versatile it is. As you've presented it, it looks very pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great recipe, perfect for a holiday party appetizer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phi, scallops are good any way in my book. Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  25. A refined and festive dish! I love scallops wrapped in bacon.

    Happy Holidays and best wishes for 2015!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am such a big fan of scallops and they look amazing wrapped in prosciutto! Love that couscous salad too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This recipe looks fantastic. I would love to make it. Thank you so much and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Have never tried scallops ever. It is one of those things that are sort of exotic here. The dish looks so pretty and I am certainly tempted by it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, the key is not to overcook it, which I always seem to do. My husband is the cook in this case.

      Delete
  29. This combination sounds delicious, Cheri! I love proscuitto and pesto!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, that's quite a compliment! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  31. Oh, my gosh, what an elegant, intoxicating combination of ingredients. I love scallops and your recipe is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, pesto and prosciutto are made for each other!

      Delete
  32. Admittedly I am only getting around to reading these posts now, but they still look delicious so that means something, no? :)

    ReplyDelete