Friday, October 31, 2014

Carrot and Mung Bean Salad


I don’t know if anyone has had a chance to try mung beans yet, but if you haven’t you might want to put them on your list. They do not need to be presoaked and they are delicious, healthy and full of protein. Last week I picked up the dried sprouted version at Whole Foods Market in the bulk food section. There was another fabulous recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi’s new book "Plenty More" that I could not wait to prepare and mung beans were once again the star. In his notes about this recipe, Yotam describes them as rather a bland bean but one that will soak up loads of flavor. I tried the fresh mung bean sprouts here, from his other sprouted salad recipe and was smitten.


The recipe was made on a day that it was not exactly planned for. In spite of that it was a great accompaniment to our meal and fairly easy to put together. The carrots were trimmed and placed in a saucepan in a single layer. Next they were partially covered with water, sugar and olive oil and cooked for 10 to 15 minutes. The carrots were beautiful in color and slightly caramelized. This added another layer of flavor to this wonderful salad. The only thing to complain about was the cleaning of the pan, which hubs took care of by adding water, sitting it back on the stove and scrapping the sides down when the water started boiling. A salad that I will make again and again.

Ingredients:

2/3 cup dried green mung beans (I used dried sprouted mung beans)
4 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon salt, divided (plus more to season)
3 large carrots (trimmed and cut into 2 x 5 inch longs and thin and then 1/4 inch wide)
2/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/3 cups cilantro (leaves chopped)
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 ounces feta, crumbled

To prepare:

Fill a medium sized saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add mung beans and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until beans are just tender. Drain well. Place in a medium sized bowl.

In the meantime in another saucepan over medium heat add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, cumin, caraway and fennel seeds. Stir constantly until the seeds start to pop, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over the beans. **You want to time this so that you are pouring the hot oil and spices over hot beans** Then add the garlic, vinegar, chile flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.

Place the prepared carrots in a pan that is shallow enough to set them side by side. Add 2/3 cup water, along with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sugar and salt. Bring water quickly to a boil and keep heat on high, about 10 to 12 minutes. Most of the water should be evaporated by then, and carrots should be slightly caramelized.


Add the carrots to the bean mixture along with the cilantro and feta cheese. Sprinkle lemon zest on top, gingerly stir, taste add more salt if necessary. Enjoy!


Cheri Savory Spoon
Cheri Savory Spoon

Mysavoryspoon was first started in 2010 as a way to journal recipes that I had collected from cookbooks, magazines, family and friends. Most everything was savory, using legumes and whole grains. Along the way I discovered a love for baking. Now a couple times a month you might see some type of sweet pie or treat.

66 comments:

  1. there's an episode of 'the office' where the older guy in the office has mung beans in his desk. he says 'they taste like death'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mung beans. They taste particularly great after sprouted. Yours with carrots looks great too, Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had mung beans for years and need to give them another try. This looks like a wonderfully delicious salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried mung beans but I tend to love most all vegetables and legumes so I may need to try your recipe out. You have such a great list of ingredients to go with the beans. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like this combination. I like mung beans but rarely eat them. Great combination with the carrots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, I've only enjoyed these beans once before, and I really liked them.

      Delete
  6. I see mung beans in Whole Foods, but never knew what to do with them, besides sprinkle them over my salad. Love this re I've, Cheri! Great flavors and so good for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, I know they were always a mystery to me as well until a few weeks ago. Happy week-end!

      Delete
  7. I was just thinking it's about time to start sprouting for summer and this has convinced me to get started today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tandy, would love to hear what your process is, thanks!

      Delete
  8. We get mung beans at the wet market here in HK only after they have sprouted. It is funny as the little ends always fall off in the washing process. This salad looks so delicious and love the caramelised carrots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bam, I bet you have wonderful markets there, thanks!

      Delete
  9. I didn't know mung beans are full of protein. I do remember my mother going through another health fad and so mung beans were suddenly in our nightly salads and we were told how very good they were for us. I haven't bought them for a while but you've inspired me xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie, my mom used to go through phases too, so funny!

      Delete
  10. Next time I eat carrots I want them this way in this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks perfect, Cheri! I love mung beans and this is so different form the ones I make. ~ David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, this is the second time I have cooked with mung beans and I am smitten, would love to hear how you prepare them as well.

      Delete
  12. Oh my - what an awesome flavor combo! I love this idea and will be giving it a try asap - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donalyn, we really enjoyed it, thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  13. Love the way he combines such unlikely veggie partners into something so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoy mung beans, your salad just reminded me of why! Delicious taste and healthy!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am FINALLY cooking from this cookbook this weekend and am so excited! Maybe I'll go pick up some mung beans and make this also!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love mung beans! Mum and I munch on them for snacks when we are trying to be 'good' or just to break up an m&m binge ;)
    I've never made them into a dish before, but this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, I did not know you could enjoy them as a snack food, will check it out!

      Delete
  17. Absolutely lovely combination of ingredients for this recipe and the colors of the finished dish are just so wonderful as well.
    Another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to check out his new cookbook. If this recipe is any indication, it's full of winners!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delicious, Cheri. Mung beans are awesome. I'm going through an Ottolenghi phase, too. Love it. D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dena, can't help myself, love how he treats vegetables. Thanks!

      Delete
  20. Next time I am in Whole Foods, I'll look for the mung beans. So many healthy foods available now. Chia seeds, quinoa, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny, mung beans are really tasty, so glad I gave them a try.

      Delete
  21. What a great salad, Cheri. I do eat mung beans and enjoy them but always out at a restaurant or in something my mother cooked but have never cooked with it myself. These recipes really open up my eyes to possibilities right in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica, I am really enjoying Yotam's new book.

      Delete
  22. Oh yum, Cheri, this looks great! "Plenty More" has been on my wish list for a while, can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have so many carrots from the garden, just bags and bags full. I'm always looking for new ways to use them, so thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela, the carrots were delicious prepared this way, thanks!!

      Delete
  24. Mung bean sprouts are very easy to grow, search for "Growing Mung Beans Sprouts" on my blog and the post will pop up. For sprouting, do get your beans from the health food store and not the food market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norma, I bought them from Whole Foods Market, that was the only place I could find them. Will check out your blog, thank you!

      Delete
  25. Oh I love this recipe! Gotta try mug beans now. Thanks Cheri :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love when you introduce me to new vegetables and legumes! Definitely need to go find mung beans to try!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great salad, Cheri! I love mung beans and it sounds delicious with the heated cumin, caraway & fennel seeds along with the carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  28. To be honest, I struggle with mung beans. This looks so good though I need to try it asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, this was my second time and I really enjoyed them, hope you give them another try.

      Delete
  29. I haven't tried mung beans yet, but they sound great! I love healthy nutrient rich dishes like this -- it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ottolenghi strikes again ... in a good way, of course! I'm sure my granddad used to grow mung beans, Cheri ... and yet I'm also pretty sure I've never tried any. Sounds like this could be the recipe to try it in. I bet the feta is a wonderful last tangy touch. Sounds like an amazing dish.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love how colorfully you eat..Like Sam:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a gorgeous color those carrots get. I love how they caramelize up with nothing more than a little oil and water. I've got Plenty More on my Christmas list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yep, we have plenty of mung beans in China and they are easy and cheap to buy. I never cook them with carrot before. The roasted carrot sounds great with those beans. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete