Thursday, September 18, 2014

Updated Tuna Casserole


Thought I'd share a picture of the beach right now in the mist of it's transformation. As you can see the grasses are starting to change color. Then there's the path to the sand that is covered with yellowed and crumpled leaves. The brown pelicans form v-formations or lines just above the water's surface to fly to and from their fishing grounds. Everything looks so serene in this picture above but there is a lot going on.


Still working on the tuna cache before we leave. Found this classic in a very large pile of recipes that have been printed from other blogs, (before pinterest) or torn out of magazines. Had to google the name of the recipe to find out where I had found it. Turns out it's from Southern Living magazine and a updated version of one at that. It was delicious, creamy, cheesy, crunchy and full of fresh green beans and tuna. Prepared this exactly as written except did not use as much butter or cream. Would definitely make again.
Ingredients:

1 16 ounce package dried ziti pasta
1/2 pound fresh green beans (trimmed)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium leeks (thinly sliced)
1/2 pound crimini mushrooms (sliced thinly)
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 tablespoons flour
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup 2% milk
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cups Cheddar cheese (shredded)
6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (divided)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 pound fresh tuna (cooked and cubed)
2 tablespoons fresh chives (chopped)
1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
1/4 cup crushed potato chips (plain)
1/4 cup panko
2 tablespoons melted butter

To prepare:

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease 13 x 9 inch baking dish. (I used butter)

Prepare pasta al dente according to package directions. In the meantime blanch green beans in boiling salted water for 2 to 3 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain, plunge into ice water to stop cooking.

Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat add leeks and saute 2 minutes, then add mushrooms and saute 5 more minutes until lightly browned. Transfer mixture to a small bowl, wipe skillet clean.

Melt butter over medium-high heat and whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly 2 minutes. Gradually stir in cream, milk and broth. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and whisk in cheddar cheese and 4 tablespoons of Parmesan until smooth. Add salt and pepper. Stir cream mixture into pasta and then add chives and parsley, tuna, green beans and leek and mushroom mixture. Then transfer to baking dish.


In a separate dish add potato chips, panko, melted butter and the rest of the Parmesan, combine, then sprinkle over top of pasta.


Bake at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!




Cheri Savory Spoon
Cheri Savory Spoon

Mysavoryspoon was first started in 2010 as a way to journal recipes that I had collected from cookbooks, magazines, family and friends. Most everything was savory, using legumes and whole grains. Along the way I discovered a love for baking. Now a couple times a month you might see some type of sweet pie or treat.

63 comments:

  1. i know you will miss the beach view upon your return to phoenix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kind of dish, Cheri. Love all of the ingredients, especially potato chips. The ocean picture is so serene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughters used to love a very similar dish:) The older version:)
    I never get your updates:(
    And every time I try to subscribe by email ..again..they say I am already subscribed..
    Don't know what to do..only a handful this happens with..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens to me on a few sites as well, not sure what the problem is, sorry.

      Delete
  4. I'm a big tuna noodle casserole fan.I've never seen this recipe before, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, we really enjoyed it, I hope you do to, thanks!

      Delete
  5. It's been forever since I've had tuna casserole, love this it sounds wonderful. Tuna noodle casserole brings back wonderful memories, I will definitely have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, it really is kind of a blast from the past, thanks!

      Delete
  6. Lady, this looks delicious. Perfect for a weeknight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love living by the bay too! My boyfriend is going to love the casserole :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, living by the water is so calming, it is where I feel my best.

      Delete
  8. This was my favourite dish growing up, Cheri, and we used to think it was so wild that my Mom would put potato chips on top! lol. Thanks for the wonderful memories. I think I'm going to have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn, the topping is part of what makes this dish, chips and all. My mom used to do the same thing.

      Delete
  9. Look delicious I love this casserole!!
    xo9

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I have ever had or made a tuna casserole. It looks so satisfying and very delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, paired with a nice green salad and it's a pretty substantial meal.

      Delete
  11. Now this isn't my mama's tuna casserole! But it sure could be mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got a huge stack of scribbled notes from mom, ripped out newspapers + magazines and (yes) box and can labels with recipes - all predating pinterest, tastespotting insert-other-foodie-internet-craze. They are some of my favorite things in my apartment. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francesca, I know if there ever was a fire in the house after removing all humans and animals my recipes would go next.

      Delete
  13. Cheri, this recipe looks interesting - I have never made a Tuna Casserole before and I must say it looks like such wonderful comfort-style food!
    Very nice presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, it was a little more work with the topping and all but it was delicious!

      Delete
  14. This sounds great Cheri. Gotta love a retro tuna casserole:). Love the beach photo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry, we are heading back to the desert next week, will miss the beach.

      Delete
  15. I love your updated version of this classic...especially that there is no condensed soup involved!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheri,
    this is so fortuitous in timing! i have a bag of green beans from last week's csa that i need to use up, and dw mentioned once that he looooooves loves loooooves tuna casserole. on top of all that, this is the most perfect dish to make and freeze, because we're headed out of town in a few days and the idea of coming home to this makes the end of vacation all the more bearable. thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lan, have a great time on your vacation!

      Delete
    2. i wanted to let you know, i made the tuna casserole, winging it based on what i had in my pantry and it was a godsend after our vacation. thanks again for the inspiration.

      Delete
    3. Hi Lan, thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it, hope you had a great time!

      Delete
  17. I used to make tuna casserole all the time, and I don't even like tuna! I love your version with all the extra veggies!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenna, thanks for stopping by appreciate the comment.

      Delete
  18. That is a FANCY looking tuna casserole!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tuna casserole looks delicious!! Love your version with lots of veggies.. :) Yumm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely delicious and worth to try recipe!!!
    Great captured too....

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful way to use more of that tuna catch! I grew up with tuna casseroles and have always loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, my mom made tuna casseroles and tuna on toast. I had forgotten about that.

      Delete
  22. Yum, looks delish and that's such a clever way to use up all of that tuna!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this casserole, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum, looks delish! I love your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a stash of recipes too from the days before pintrest haha :) Your tuna casserole looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love my sea too, can't get enough of it! Great looking casserole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ela, I know what you mean, thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  27. I love tuna casserole and yours looks delicious! Love that there are no added condensed soups in here :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been wanting to make a good ol' tuna casserole and I love your version. And always .... always put potato chips on top. :) And even better with Panko.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love taking old recipes like this and updating them! Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your gorgeous beach pictures are always so relaxing :) Love this updated tuna casserole recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My hubby loves the classic tuna casserole and I'm not thrilled with it. Yours is much more appealing...I'll treat him to this no-canned-soup version and we'll both be happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your updated version of a tuna noodle casserole. My husband is like a lot of husbands and requests the old tuna noodle casserole from time to time. Think I'll surprise his with yours.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's amazing how the beach changes so much Cheri. I'm busy catching up on blog posts. This casserole is super adaptable, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete