Saturday, September 20, 2014

Sticky Cranberry Gingerbread


Confused is the weather this time of year. One day it is cold with deep dark clouds and morning fog. Next, there is not a cloud in the sky; the wind is blowing and it is chilly enough for a sweater. The sun is setting much earlier too. Even though the light in the day is becoming shorter there is still the same amount of hours in a day. So why do I feel rushed? Makes no sense.


Now this little gingerbread does make sense. As it bakes the cranberries will sink to the bottom of the pan creating a caramelized chewy goodness. The texture is cake like and sticky and has all the spices of fall. The house will smell of cinnamon and molasses. The first night I served this cake with a scoop of ice cream. The next morning plain with a cup of coffee.

This recipe has been adapted from Melissa Clark's cookbook, "Cook This Now".

Ingredients:

1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 stick unsalted butter
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 large eggs, slightly beaten

To prepare:

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9 inch square baking pan, then line pan with parchment paper.

In a small saucepan on medium heat; combine cranberries, sugar and water. Stir until sugar is combined and the cranberries become soft and the water syrupy, about 20 minutes stirring often.

In a separate saucepan, stir together the butter, brown sugar, milk, molasses and maple syrup over medium heat. Bring it to a slight simmer and then remove it from the heat. Do not let it come to a boil. (Mixture could curdle)

In a large bowl, sift the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and black pepper. Beat in the butter molasses mixture and then the eggs.

Scoop batter into prepared pan. Then spoon cranberries into the batter in a swirly design and then drag a knife through the batter in the same pattern to incorporate. Bake approx 40 to 50 minutes, until the top is firm and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack and let cool.



Cheri Savory Spoon
Cheri Savory Spoon

Mysavoryspoon was first started in 2010 as a way to journal recipes that I had collected from cookbooks, magazines, family and friends. Most everything was savory, using legumes and whole grains. Along the way I discovered a love for baking. Now a couple times a month you might see some type of sweet pie or treat.

81 comments:

  1. ohh.... smell of cinnamon reminds me my childhood and holidays... i totally love your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to have both the ice cream and coffee with it, please. : ) I love baking something like this and making the house smell so wonderful. You've got me thinking of Christmas, my favorite holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Monica, Christmas is my favorite as well. Love the weather, the smells....everything!

      Delete
  3. It's exactly the same here right now - it's spring but one day it's roasting hot, the next chilly and raining. Ugh!
    The bread sounds just wonderful ...I adore gingerbread ... but what a fabulous idea to add cranberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, that is so crazy as we are both in totally different parts of the world. Love it!

      Delete
  4. The one with ice cream looks really inviting, Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty backdrop too Cheri..Looks like fall:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm yum! I can just imagine how incredible your house must have smelled with this baking up! Love gingerbread with ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, yes cinnamon and molasses smell like fall and winter to me.

      Delete
  7. I love the spices and food of Fall, this cake screams Fall, sounds so delicious especially warm with that scoop of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of the sticky caramelised cranberries on the bottom of the cake. Autumn is my favourite time of the year. I hope you get to relax and enjoy it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, caramelized cranberries is what made this little cake so special.

      Delete
  9. This looks so good and autumnal! Get all you can of the cool weather before coming back here! :) It will be a while before you will want to bake again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just posted a recipe from that cookbook today too. Isn't it great? I love gingerbread, and I can't believe I haven't tried that recipe yet. It sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, I love that cookbook, so many great recipes.

      Delete
  11. Like the weather, I will be confused, too, LOL. Is it coffee with your sticky cranberry gingerbread or is it ice cream? Both sound delish!

    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  12. Divine! A great autumn treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that it's gingerbread season! I pinned yours for later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't had gingerbread in so long and I adore cranberries so this is a recipe made in heaven! It's pretty hard to say goodbye to summer, isn't it? Hope your week is off to a good start :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have confusing weather here in the Midwest too, this morning it was 39 degrees, and a few minutes ago it was 74! This cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phi, wow! 39 degrees is pretty cool for this time of year.

      Delete
  16. This sounds delicious, very autumnal. Although the weather in my part of the world isn't confused, it's our version of summer here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate to see the days growing shorter, too! This gingerbread with dried cranberries sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, the weather has been very strange and it's been quite a cool start to Spring. I love your gingerbread - it looks gorgeous and I love how the recipe has cranberries - what a love mix with the ginger xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Days are getting longer here down under, but I would be happy enough to still make this delicious sticky bread :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can close my eyes and think of this gingerbread and almost smell it. I love those cranberries near the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hmm, i can barely smells the spiced on the ginger bread!!!
    lovely dessert......

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cheri:

    We are having the same sort of odd weather here, too. Still, I love the change of seasons even though the days feel shorter when they are not. I know you are preparing to move south. Perhaps all the getting ready contributes to feeling rushed. Slow down. It will all get done.

    Your gingerbread looks divine. One of my favorites. Perhaps with baked apples...http://gathering-flavors.com/2014/09/22/baked-apples-filled-with-nuts-spices-ginger-and-honey/ ? D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dena, that looks wonderful, will try when I get back to Phoenix, your right about the move south, thanks!

      Delete
  23. Your gingerbread looks divine, Cheri. Love the idea of the sticky bottom...kind of like an upside down cake in reverse!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow, I'm loving this flavor combination! And I'll take it with coffee AND a scoop of ice cream! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The molasses and maple syrup combination sounds interesting never thought of doing that, thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norma, the combination works really well, thanks to Melissa Clark

      Delete
  26. I love anything with cranberries and this bread is calling my name. Great recipe Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a combination! I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The only thing close to gingerbread I have ever made is apple ginger cake. This is seriously mind blowing!! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cranberries and gingerbread - now I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your gingerbread sounds heavenly! And I love your second photo! It is so inviting…I would love a piece with my afternoon cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The name had me sold before I ever looked at the recipe. This sounds like a delightful seasonal treat! I love that it can double as a dessert or breakfast sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful gingerbread! Love the smell of cinnamon.. Looks delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am definitely feeling like the days are shorter, though last time I checked - still 24 hours! Not sure what's up. Hope I can spare an hour to get this cake on the table! Sounds like FALL. Heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Joanne, I know, it's strange the days do feel shorter, thanks!

      Delete
  34. I love the fact that this bread has cranberries in it and love biting into delicious chewy fruit. I think I might like this as dessert or even for breakfast..Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would love a piece of this beautiful bread with my cappuccino!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Perfect for the changing weather although I could enjoy this year round.
    Have a super day.
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. A really lovely recipe! I love gingerbread!:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. This must taste wonderful, Cheri! A perfect treat for this time of year (even though it's an amazing 77F here today - crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Cheri: Yes, the beginning of Fall is so fickle, but that sticky goodness yu created sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Can you say YUM?!
    I so have to make this. Thanks, Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I can't wait to make this, Cheri! It's one of those recipes that when you see it, you instantly know you'll love it. Gingerbread is a childhood favorite too. I think you're in the process of moving your life back down to Arizona now. Safe travels to you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think this will make a great Christmas cake! We are also having confused weather with summer and winter changing places on a daily basis :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Mmm. You know how to turn a phrase and bake one beautiful gingerbread! I can almost taste the sticky scrumptiousness of the cranberries!

    ReplyDelete