Saturday, August 30, 2014

Red Lentil and Coconut Soup with Black Rice, Turmeric and Greens


Today we woke up to a quiet but steady rain. It has been very dry here on the coast in Oregon, so this was a welcome sight. The first thing that came to mind was that I had watered the garden just yesterday. The second thing was that I needed to make some soup. Love rainy days like this.


I've had this soup bookmarked since it first came in the mail. Deborah Madison is one of my favorites; I admire how she thinks about and treats the vegetables in her recipes; she's a master. Anyway, her red lentil and coconut soup with black rice, turmeric and greens is now one of my favorites. Lentils and coconut pair so well together. Then the cilantro stems and chard is added. Some mustard seeds are thrown in that add more flavor and just a little crunch. The soup is finished with a small scoop of black rice. The taste is amazing! Even my husband likes this and he is not the biggest fan of my hippie lentil dishes.

This recipe has been slightly adapted from the "Vegetable Literacy", cookbook by Deborah Madison. Adapted version is listed here.

Ingredients:

For soup:

1 1/4 cups red lentils
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 large onion (diced, finely)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 bunch cilantro (stems only, cut into 1/4 lengths)
1 15-ounce can coconut milk - light
5 cups water
1/2 bunch chard leaves (cut into ribbons)
3 to 4 teaspoons melted coconut butter

For garnish:

1 cup cooked black rice (follow package instructions)

To Prepare:

*Rinse lentils before cooking to remove any dirt and be sure to pick through carefully to remove any rocks or foreign objects. This little step could avoid a very painful encounter with a tooth.*

In a large soup pot add sesame oil over medium heat, then add onion and cook until softened. Add turmeric, curry, cumin, mustard seeds and cilantro. Cook until fragrant a few minutes more.

Add lentils, coconut milk, water and salt to soup pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered. Simmer about 20 minutes until lentils are soft and broken. Add chard and cook until tender. Just before serving add coconut butter.

Keep black rice separate and add a small scoop individually to each soup bowl. Enjoy!















Cheri Savory Spoon
Cheri Savory Spoon

Mysavoryspoon was first started in 2010 as a way to journal recipes that I had collected from cookbooks, magazines, family and friends. Most everything was savory, using legumes and whole grains. Along the way I discovered a love for baking. Now a couple times a month you might see some type of sweet pie or treat.

69 comments:

  1. Like the addition of the sesame oil in this recipe..
    I tried cooking black rice once and I fiasco'ed it..
    This is so different Cheri..worth venturing I think:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monique, somehow it all works and it is delicious! Thanks! Happy week-end!

      Delete
  2. Hi Cheri! Nice to meet you! Thanks for the visit to my blog.
    This soup looks delicious…I love the addition of coconut milk…yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful soup Cheri. You live in an amazing area. Hot in the south where we are.. Rain for you finally. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny, it's been a strange summer here weather wise. Being around water is always nice.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a really tasty soup - there are some great flavours there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Deborah Madison's recipes too (in fact I just shared one in my most recent post!). They are simple to make but the flavours are amazing. This looks like a delicious recipe to add to my winter spinach/silverbeet/chard repertoire with those warming spices :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam, just checked out your post and I really enjoy that chard and potato soup as well.

      Delete
  6. Delicious soup, you are so right, coconut milk and lentils go so nicely together, With weather turning cooler soon I'll be making a lot of soup will add this recipe to my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne, you can always count on Deborah Madison's recipes.

      Delete
  7. I loved your comment that your husband isn't a fan of your 'hippie lentil dishes' ... haha, my husband is just like that. He likes his meat and potatoes.
    This would be a hit with me, though. It seems like a sort of creamy daal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, I know what is with some men and meat and potatoes? oh well.......it is kind of creamy like but there is no cream.

      Delete
  8. What an interesting soup. How frustrating that you had just watered the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tandy, I know but that is how the weather is here sometimes, you just never know.

      Delete
  9. Love the combination of flavors here. Mustard seeds, cilantro, cocomilk + turmeric, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful soup, Cheri. I love the use of coconut milk in this healthy and delicious soup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheri - once again, our paths almost meet (Soutwest meets Northwaest!) as I am sitting in our Airbnb in Portland for our one day here. I love Vegetable Literacy and have been eyeing this recipe for this winter. Thanks for letting me know how good it is! ~ David

    PS - glad you it rain... sorry I am getting my first glimpse of Portland in the rain! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, oh I have heard of those, would love to know what you think about them. Portland is such a great food city, have fun!!

      Delete
  12. You always have the most wonderful and interesting recipes.
    Have a beautiful day.
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great soup! So flavorful and comforting.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous soup and I would enjoy it most of course if it's cold and rainy outside. Here where I am right now it's quite cold and rainy too, luckily I will be going back to a warmer weather soon, but it's going to rain too for another 2 months. I love otherwise rain but not necessarily the cold. Thanks for sharing your recipe. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helene, yes I agree, I love the rain, not always the cold. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  15. What an incredible soup, really enjoying the addition of black rice - never tried it but now really want to!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Uru, black rice is a more of a sturdy rice if that makes any sense, it is delicious!

      Delete
  16. Vegetable Literacy is such a lovely book. Your adaptation of Madison's soup is lovely, too. We had a dry spell in Vancouver, but that seems to be over, at least for a while. I'm glad you got some rain, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa, oh I love Vancouver!! the weather has been very different here this summer.

      Delete
  17. Another fantastic recipe Cheri, what can I say? I'm in total awe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lentil soup is one of my all-time favourites!! It's always so filling and delicious, can't get over how much I love them!

    {Teffy's Perks} X

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds just wonderful Cheri, I love the combination of flavors and textures. I'm laughing about your "hippie lentil dishes" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, yes my husband is a hoot! Not a big fan of my lentils. Thanks!

      Delete
  20. I thought this was a Deborah Madison recipe as soon as I saw the title! Her soups are the best. I must make this this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cheri, I love this soup! I'm a Deborah fan too! You've inspired me to make something similar - just as soon as the weather cools a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I read the title to this soup I just knew I had to come check it out, Cheri! What a great mix of flavours. This will definitely go on my soup list. As much as I don`t like summer disappearing, I do love soup season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn, love our summers in Oregon. Soup anytime, any place.

      Delete
  23. Soup and rainy weather are just perfect together. My first thought when it rains is usually...great I just washed the car. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy, me too, or I've just watered the garden and it rains.

      Delete
  24. Rainy weather soup - how wonderful! I love the idea of the lentils and coconut milk. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Deborah Madison writes terrific cookbooks, doesn't she? This is such a lovely soup -- such good flavors. Perfect for fall -- thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great soup for a Fall day. Hearty and full of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love anything with greens and turmeric. What a great soup Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What lovely and delicious soup!! I adore soups like this.. Perfect for rainy days... :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. We have had non-stop rain for weeks. I'm so tired of the rain and would love some sunshine and the opportunity to hang out the washing and go out without an umbrella. Yes, when it rains it's a great time to make soup and this soup has some fantastic ingredients. It must be very tasty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie, hope you have sunny skies soon. Thanksxx

      Delete
  30. A flavorful soup for a cold rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cheri, this looks like such a healthy treat of a soup - I have never cooked black rice before but I bought a bag a while ago and now your wonderful post provides some great inspiartion for finally getting to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I really enjoyed the black rice, this was my first time preparing it.

      Delete
  32. I love a warm and tasty bowl of soup on a rainy day. This looks delicious and very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The soups have been innovated for rainy and chilly days, isn't it true? Love the addition of mustard seeds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mustard seeds provided just a tiny bit of crunch, very nice!

      Delete
  34. That soup looks like it's so full of flavor. That black rice and the mustard seeds just bring it over the top for me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yum! This soup sounds so comforting and delicious! Must try soon!

    ReplyDelete