Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Grilled Mesquite Salmon with Grilled Zucchini and Green Onions with Lemon and Walnuts


We use a charcoal grill here in Oregon and a gas grill back home. Between them I believe the charcoal grilled food taste better. It takes more time and work, but it's worth it. Also, it's always a big treat to sit put on the deck with a cool beverage and watch my husband grill. (wink)


The last time we had salmon my husband soaked mesquite chips in water. Once the charcoal was white hot, he turned the charcoal chimney over, and spread the coals out. The soaked chips were then positioned over the coals. The grate was replaced and the salmon was put over the hottest coals, the veggies were set off to the side. Then the dome top was set over the grate and grill and the top valve was adjusted to allow the flow of air through the vents.


Here's a picture of the salmon right off the grill. The flavor was wonderful. It's amazing what little things you can do to bring about certain flavors in a dish. The salmon was served alongside grilled zucchini and green onions with lemon and walnuts. This recipe is from the Bon Appetite magazine and has been slightly adapted. In the original recipe leeks were used. But since I have plenty of green onions available in the garden I decided to use them instead. The slight char is a great enhancement for this combination of veggies and the fresh lemon juice really brightens the flavor.

Ingredients:

For the salmon

1 large salmon steak (about a pound)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

For the grilled zucchini and green onions:

1/3 cup walnut (roasted and coarsely chopped)
1 clove garlic (finely grated)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
3 large green onions (cleaned and cut into 3 inch pieces)
1 large zucchini (halved lengthwise, cut into 3 inch pieces)
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh parsley (kept whole with a tiny bit of stems)


Salt and pepper to taste

To prepare salmon:

Follow above directions for salmon, rub olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper before grilling.

To prepare zucchini and green onions:

Brush 2 tablespoons of olive oil on zucchini and green onions, season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning often, you want them cooked until tender and a few char spots. About 5 to 10 minutes.

Transfer veggies to to serving dish, add parsley, and lemon and olive oil. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve alongside salmon for a complete meal.













Cheri Savory Spoon
Cheri Savory Spoon

Mysavoryspoon was first started in 2010 as a way to journal recipes that I had collected from cookbooks, magazines, family and friends. Most everything was savory, using legumes and whole grains. Along the way I discovered a love for baking. Now a couple times a month you might see some type of sweet pie or treat.

72 comments:

  1. I love salmon and you have prepared it deliciously! Grilled veggies go really well with fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very healthy dish! I need to stay away from pork crackling and crispy belly and switch to this dish soon ;)

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, what an absolute flavoursome dish....
    i can imagine the smoky salmon and veggies with crunchy walnut, superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a dreamlike place and wonderful dish! Fabulous flavors.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I think the flavour is much better with charcoal. This dish looks fabulous, really tasty. GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GG, just wish sometimes it was just as easy. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I'm with you, charcoal all the way! That's one great looking dish Cheri, loving the colors of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a wonderful way to serve salmon. And like you, I don't mind having my husband take care of dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a marvelous way to cook salmon with the vegetables on the grill. I enjoy watching my husband grill too :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam, yes I believe it's one of the best parts of the experience.

      Delete
  9. Cheri, salmon is so good. I love it grilled with fresh veggies.
    P.S. You might want to make your pictures larger. You have the room to do so. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so helpful and nice!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Linda, I will try and figure that out, appreciate the help.

      Delete
  10. We are on the same page today - super easy salmon! Love the smokey flavor - and charcoal is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like my kind of dinner. It's a matter of fact we really do think/cook alike! I have an almost identical grilled zucchini recipe on my blog from last year! :) I love how you added walnuts to your's though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sure sounds like we do, will check that out, enjoy your blog very much!

      Delete
  12. Looks soooo relaxing!
    My husband jus bought a charcoal grill..we missed the taste..we still use the gas one 90% of the time..but for special..Charcoal all the ay:)
    Delicious dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the gas it so much easier, but there's no doubt if you have the time charcoal is the way to go.

      Delete
  13. This looks simply perfect! In fact, it's on the menu tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Coco, love to hear how you prepared it, always looking for another recipe.

      Delete
  14. Love the simplicity and sound of this dish Cheri! Looks fantastic, and I totally agree - charcoal grills really add flavors to dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a healthy lean dish - it looks fantastic :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like an amazing meal and a beautiful place to eat it! We grill over cedar at our cabin, and the flavor is also incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shari, there is nothing like grilling out in the woods, I am so jealous!

      Delete
  17. I'm going to show my husband this post so that he can try the method over the fire. We have both options at home but use the gas more often as its easier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tandy, I hear you, time does not always allow for the gas.

      Delete
  18. Wow that sounds like a really tasty meal! A win from Bon Appetit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, I guess you can tell I have a monthly subscription, right! Ha!

      Delete
  19. I love salmon, Cheri, and eat it at least twice a week. Yours looks delicious and those veggies are so fabulous! Love the pics, love the meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn, it's the best here in the PNW as you know, thanks!

      Delete
  20. I'm with Robyn, we eat so much salmon and I love coming across new recipes...but it's that zucchini that's got me intrigued...love this meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, another recipe from bon appetit, love their take on veggies.

      Delete
  21. That's a lovely meal, Cheri! And that last photo is making me hungry. Love salmon, eat it a lot. Would be fun to try with leeks as I don't have a garden anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, I thought the same thing, next year will try and grow leeks for the first time. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. Hi TexWisGirl, yes food does taste better doesn't it!

      Delete
  23. I fell in love with salmon steaks when we lived on the west coast...around here we can just get fillets. Your grilled recipe sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, I keep telling myself to take the time to really enjoy this, hard to do as I am always rushing from one thing to another, just like everyone else I suppose.

      Delete
  24. I do love a good charcoal grill.
    But... the convenience of a gas one... takes out the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm really into salmon at the moment - I do it teriyaki. Love the look of this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We haven't had a charcoal grill in ages but I know the flavor is so much better. My husband is not a patient person so gas is so much easier on him :)

    Love the salmon and grilled zucchini - two of my favorites. Your view is wonderful there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan ,that's funny as my husband is not very patient either so in Phoenix you will never hear of us charcoal grilling always gas.

      Delete
  27. i love how you did the zucchini and green onions. The marinade/dressing looks and sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am more of a sides person than the main event.

      Delete
  28. I love salmon and zucchini and this look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love salmon, but I only ever have it pan fried because we don't have a grill :( So wishing that I had one now though, after seeing your delicious grilled salmon! And the veggies look great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Von, many times I prepare salmon is the oven, I have a slow cooked method that makes the salmon soft and delicious.

      Delete
  30. What a great summer meal–this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gas grills are so much easier, but I totally agree that charcoal has the best flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It all looks wonderful but your mix of vegetables with the walnuts is absolutely superb! I too, love it when my husband works the grill. ;) He built a grill a couple of years ago and it can be used with both wood or charcoal depending on the mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful, a grill that does both, your husband sounds very handy.

      Delete
  33. I love a charcoal grill, too, but not practical or preferred in the desert. I assume that it why you have gas at your other home, too! I want to figure out how to use chips on the gas grill so I can get my salmon tasting (almost) as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, your so right we have gas in Phoenix, thats the only way in AZ. I bet there is a way.

      Delete
  34. That grilled salmon sure looks delicious yet so simple to prepare. Love your veggies presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Grilled salmon with a delicious salad - what more could anyone want on a sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
  36. We ended up getting a gas grill because we could never figure out the exact timing of charcoal. It was always too hot or too cold or not enough coals. Very impressed by people who can do it! Your salmon sounds wonderful, and I love all the veggies with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri, my husband does all the grilling so I really can't take any credit for it. But it's fun watching.....

      Delete
  37. Ohh I absolutely LOVE salmon steaks. This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete