Friday, June 6, 2014

Green Lentils, Spinach and A Hard Boiled Egg


I can feel the energy in the air today. It's windy and the trees are swaying. As I stare out at the Pacific Ocean tiny white caps quickly come and go. There are many cars on the main highway as the town gears up for the week-end. It is Friday night....


The recipe today suggest that you soak the lentils 1 hour before cooking. I wondered about this, I've heard it before. Why and is this necessary?

From what I understand after a few google searches is that first and foremost there are many different opinions. But it does not appear lentils need pre-soaking but can be pre-soaked to improve digestibility and reduce cooking time. So I soaked. Even after soaking this was an easy meal to put together. Very tasty as sauteing the onions brought a little sweetness to the dish which offset the earthiness of the lentils. The wilted goodness from the fresh spinach was delicious and the hard boiled egg on top was nice but not necessary.

This recipe has been slightly adapted from Deborah Madison's, The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" For exact recipe consult the book. Serves four as a main dish.


Ingredients:

1 cup green lentils, sorted rinsed, and soaked for 1 hour.
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 to 3 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 onions, (cut into 1/4 inch rounds)
1 bunch fresh spinach, leaves only (cut into ribbons)
1 clove garlic, (minced)
1 hard boiled egg, (cut into sixth's)

To prepare:

In a medium sized sauce pan add drained lentils and cover with 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer about 25 minutes. Drain, set aside, reserving the broth.

In the meantime, in a wide heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter and saute until they are golden, about 10 minutes. Set them aside. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to pan, and then add the spinach, garlic and a few pinches of salt and cook until wilted.

Add the lentils to the pan with the spinach. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Then add the egg. Enjoy!







Cheri Savory Spoon
Cheri Savory Spoon

Mysavoryspoon was first started in 2010 as a way to journal recipes that I had collected from cookbooks, magazines, family and friends. Most everything was savory, using legumes and whole grains. Along the way I discovered a love for baking. Now a couple times a month you might see some type of sweet pie or treat.

37 comments:

  1. Love all different kinds of lentils and beans! This looks very satisfying and delicious, Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only eat lentils in soup and I always soak them first, but I never knew why! Thanks for sharing the information :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tandy, I did know know about the digestion part either. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. This is a little like a very popular day-to-day Greek recipe called 'fak-es', Cheri. I love it! So healthy as well.
    P.S. That coastline is absolutely stunning! What a beautiful, peaceful summer you must be having!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen. visiting Greece is on my bucket list, sounds like the food is great there. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. What a delicious lentil dish. I've never soaked lentils before myself, but if Deborah Madison advises it, I would definitely do so. She knows her vegetables.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam, I know Deborah Madison is the Queen! Happy week-end to you!

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious! I love lentils, they're the best. I've never soaked them before cooking though and have always had success. I kind of like that chewy texture! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June, I think lentils are the best too, did not notice any big difference after soaking but it's supposed to aid in digestion as well so who knows.

      Delete
  6. I love lentils! This is a lovely recipe and I would add the egg too. Enjoy your weekend in beautiful Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Seana, fresh spinach is always great wilted especially with the lentils, love this time of year. Happy Sunday to you.

      Delete
  7. what a lovely shore! thanks for including the photos. i don't cook much and don't do recipes, so i feel bad when i don't have a comment to leave, but appreciate your visits very much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, love your site the little titmouse was adorable today.

      Delete
  8. What views!!!
    You know I would have never ever thought of making this dish and I actually find myself wanting to taste it now:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it really is a simple dish, you certainly can't go wrong with onions cooked until they are golden and wilted spinach.

      Delete
  9. Cheri, what a fabulous lentil recipe. We love to eat lentils around here but mostly in soups - I have never made them with spinach and eggs - sounds healthly and delightful - and, yes, that coastline is very picturesque.
    Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, lentils are one of my favorites, I mainly have them in soups as well. Happy Sunday!

      Delete
  10. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! I love lentil salads too, like the idea to add an egg!
    ~Mila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mila, your site is wonderful love the last appetizer/salad dish you posted. Take care!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for this healthy, easy and protein-packed dish! Lentils have a distinct flavour that I always like.

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, this was pretty easy, hope your having a great week-end. Happy Sunday to you.

      Delete
  12. I don't eat lentils often enough and this is a great dish to add to the rotation. I like the flavours and I think the addition of the egg adds a nice touch. Thanks for another great recipe, Cheri!
    PS...loving the coastal pics. The Pacific Ocean is always so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn, I love the coast here a little wild and untamed, woods meets the sea kind of place. I probably eat too many lentils, must diversify a little more.

      Delete
  13. Cheri: Thank you so much for the photos of the Oregon coast. Beautiful. What a wonderful place to spend your summer.

    The recipe looks delicious. I admire your patience in soaking the lentils. I rarely take the time, but perhaps I should...Have you ever tried French lentils? They are smaller and cook more quickly than the larger green ones.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dena, yes I have tried the French, love them all but probably like the beluga lentils best. Take care!

      Delete
  14. Thank you for these beautiful photos. The coast looks glorious. How wonderful you'll be there all summer. D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't get enough of the ocean. Your lentil dish looks very energetic too. btw, I do presoak the lentils when I remember to do so...

    ela h.
    Gray Apron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ela, I never heard of soaking the lentils before, but I did it. Did not notice any big changes, but maybe the cooking time was faster.

      Delete
  16. I've never heard that before about soaking lentils, and I have to admit that I'm pretty lazy so I probably wouldn't bother. This is a delicious looking dish though, and I would love it with the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a very tasty dish, love the wilted spinach in this. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  17. Looks very healthy and wonderful! ~ David

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Cheri, beautiful pictures, and I love the simplicity of this recipe, sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love the combination of lentils + spinach.. mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your recipe looks awesome! I'm always looking for spinach ideas, so thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete